The following people are eligible for Australian Citizenship:
- You must have been present in Australia as a permanent resident for two years in the previous five years, including for twelve months in the past two years.
- You must have a basic knowledge of English unless you are aged 50 or over.
- You must have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities of being an Australian Citizen.
- You must intend to live in, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.
- You must be of good character.
There are some exceptions to the residence requirements:
- Service in the permanent Australian Defense Forces for at least 3 months.
- Service in the Australian Reserve Forces for at least 6 months.
- Former Australian citizens or persons born in Australia.
- Spouse, widow or widower of an Australian citizen.
Please also note that people born overseas to an Australian parent can also be registered as an Australian citizen by descent provided they meet additional requirements and are under 25 years of age.
Please contact our office to confirm these requirements or for any additional information on applying for Australian citizenship.